Eurasia Foundation (EF) is a U.S.-based non-profit, nonpartisan organization committed to enhancing responsive, accountable and transparent governance, and helping citizens build a stronger, more resilient civil society. EF’s work is based on the principles of inclusiveness, collaboration and locally sourced solutions.
EF is seeking a technical consultant with international expertise in social enterprise development and social entrepreneurship to support the proposal development process in anticipation of an upcoming funding opportunity from the U.S. Department of State in Uzbekistan. The technical consultant’s primary role will be to facilitate discussions with stakeholders and provide written input for the proposed design and interventions included in the proposal.
The consultant will be responsible for providing technical expertise regarding social entrepreneurship and social enterprise development. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the latest developments impacting social entrepreneurs and non-profit organizations using business models to achieve a double bottom line and the types of development interventions needed by these actors. The successful candidate will have the ability to engage with multiple stakeholders, including government institutions, non-governmental organizations and the private sector, among others. Technical expertise in social entrepreneurship, social enterprise development and development of sustainable business models, and knowledge of the local context in Uzbekistan and/or Central Asia will serve the technical consultant well.
- With guidance from EF’s technical lead, the consultant will offer input on the design and interventions for the proposal.
- Propose and provide feedback on activities to build the capacity Uzbekistani social entrepreneurs to lead their organizations and serve their beneficiaries as well as strengthen the business models for social enterprises.
- Participate in meetings to discuss and learn about the operational context in Uzbekistan, and provide input on the proposed technical approach, operating principles, proposed activities and other elements as required. These meetings will involve the EF proposal team as well as international and local partners and other stakeholders as directed by EF.
- Provide expertise and inputs regarding models for fostering the development of social entrepreneurs and social enterprises.
- In consultation with EF Proposal Manager, review parts of the draft proposal to ensure relevancy and effectiveness of proposed activities.
- Technical expertise in social entrepreneurship, social enterprise development and/or small business development.
- Demonstrated experience working with and building the capacity of non-governmental organizations that generate revenue by offering goods or services for sale.
- Proven networks among successful social entrepreneurs and the international organizations fostering the growth of social enterprises.
- Experience working on proposals for international donors; experience with U.S. government funded programs strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and understanding of U.S. Department of State policies and procedures desired.
- Knowledge and familiarity of working in Uzbekistan and/or Central Asia preferred.
- Master’s degree in social entrepreneurship, business, international development, or other relevant areas of study.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Uzbek or Russian preferred.